Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Coming to a close

This year started out like any other year; me running around the state trying to see 100 birds in January. Mission accomplished. 102 in January. I kind of sat out the next few months until May came along. Spring migration blew in and before I knew it, boom....over two hundred. An idea was sparked and fueled by the nudging of fellow bird buds. "Why not try for three hundred...300!...three hundred? Really? Seems pretty rough. Seems like a lot of chasing. Seems like a nightmare...
Fast forward to December 15, 2010. The count stands at 297. Sixteen days to go....the chase is definitely on.
I decided to start this blog because I have an idea for next year. A big idea. Well, a little big idea. A little big year. How many birds can I see in one year in the lower 48 states. Starting January 1, 2011 I will be traipsing around the country trying to rack up as many birds as possible. Day trips, weekend trips, pelagic trips, sweltering trips, frost bitten trips, bug infested trips and so on and so forth. It's a new year, a new adventure, a new goal.  I am setting a goal of 600 for the year.
I am going to try to keep up with the posts and photos on this blog daily if possible, with a running total of year to date birds. Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment