Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Back at it: Cali bound

I have been keeping my eye on the rare bird alerts for the last couple of weeks and it seems that the rarities that are hanging out in Northern California are staying put so I am heading out today for a week.   And with the temperature being 2° right now I can't say that I feel bad leaving Ohio at all. Lol. 
It's been about four years since I've been in Northern California so it will be good to experience it all again. I'm taking my sister with me this trip so that I've got some company and so she can also see this beautiful part of the country. My bag was already packed since I didn't use anything I took to Texas because it was so cold there. Hopefully the forecasted 50-60° temps will hold. 
Our chases will take us to Golden Gate Park for Rustic Bunting, Colusa NWR for Falcated Duck, Arcata, Ca for Brambling and then up to Nestucca NWR in Oregon for Tundra Bean-goose. There's the possibility of chasing a tufted duck as well but that is to the south so it will depend how we do up north. Should be an interesting run and should also add close to 80+ new birds for the year if I do well. 
Currently I have 251 birds for the year after adding a few yesterday (Barred owl, Lesser Black-backed Gull and for the 250th bird of the year (on my birthday no less) was the illusive and rare Hairy Woodpecker. Haha. Actually it's an easy bird and a little disappointing as a milestone bird. But what the hell, every bird counts so +1. 
So half of January has flown by and by the time I get back it will be even closer to February. The east coast holds some interesting possibilities as does Arizona right now. I'll be watching the reports to see if any of these birds manage to stick around. Somehow I imagine flying to Tuscon and driving another 5000 miles in the near future. Time will tell.  And let's not forget a certain visiting dove in Florida that deserves my attention...more updates tomorrow. For now it's so long Ohio, hello Pacific Ocean! 

1 comment:

  1. Even the Hairy Woodpeckers count!!! 250 birds in January...WOW! Go get Cali and Bird it up!

    ReplyDelete